If you’re looking to live in a rural, small town while still being close to a large metro area, be sure to look at Callahan, FL communities. Known for its history in the railroad industry, Callahan was named after Daniel Callahan who helped build a railroad here in 1854. Today, Callahan is known more for its prospering timber and agriculture industries. Callahan is also home to one of the largest mulch manufacturing plants in the country. Callahan continues to grow every year and is a great place to live whether you’re starting a family or working in Jacksonville and looking for an affordable place to live.
Where is Callahan, FL?
Callahan, FL is located on the west side of Nassau County. Callahan is only 20 minutes from downtown Jacksonville and 30 minutes from the closest beach, Fernandina Beach. Centered at the junction of Florida A1A, US 301, and US 1, the town’s slogan is “Crossroads to the Future.”
Benefits of Living in Callahan, FL
One of the biggest benefits of living in Callahan is the affordability compared to surrounding areas in Northeast Florida and the proximity to Jacksonville. In Callahan, you can live on acres of land while still being only a short drive to a major city. As Callahan communities continue to grow, there are more and more benefits to living in the area including:
- Access to Job Opportunities. According to the 2022 Nassau County Growth Trends Report, one big driver of growth to this area is the job centers moving north including Westside Industrial Park, Cecil Commerce Center, ENCPA/Wildlight, Westlake Industrial Park, Downtown Jacksonville, Crawford Diamond, William Burgess District, Jacksonville Airport, and 301 Capital Industrial Park.
- Wide Open Spaces. Most homes for sale in Callahan are on large lots of land with plenty of acreage. Because of this, horse properties are popular in this area. In Callahan, you’ll have abundant space and privacy at a home that you and your family can safely spend time and enjoy the outdoors.
- Proximity to Big City. You can get the best of both worlds living in Callahan. Live in a smaller, more rural town while being only 20 minutes from Downtown Jacksonville, 30 minutes from Fernandina Beach, and 20 minutes from the Jacksonville Airport.
- Community Feel. Living in Callahan, you’ll experience a small town and community feel. On Friday nights, you’ll find locals cheering on the home football team and every fall, thousands of people come to Callahan for the Northeast Florida Fair.
- Low Cost of Living. The cost of living in Callahan is lower than the national average and most other cities in Florida. The affordability of this area has made it a popular option for people interested in a more rural area and increased demand for housing in the surrounding areas.
Callahan, FL Schools
If you have school aged children, Callahan schools are highly-rated in the Nassau County public school system for kids of any age.
Callahan, FL Neighborhoods & Communities
You can find homes for sale in Callahan in a variety of neighborhoods and communities. Popular Callahan, FL neighborhoods and communities include:
- Amhurst Oaks
- Spring Lake Estates
- Clear Lake Estates
- Robinwood Estates
- Green Meadows
- Turning Leaf Estates
- Spring Meadows
- Tupelo Plantation
To learn more about the different Callahan communities and compare amenities, click below.
Homes for Sale in Callahan
Check out the current listings of homes for sale in Callahan. Even if you don’t see your dream home listed, our team of real estate agents are here to help. We’re always on the lookout for new listings and can help you find a property before it hits the market.
Contact us today to learn more.